This course is for all people taking on the role of the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) or those who are part of the Safeguarding Team in Education settings. The legislation covered in this course applies to maintained nurseries as well as schools and colleges. THIS IS INITIAL DSL TRAINING FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT HAD DSL TRAINING BEFORE. If you are already a trained DSL and need a refresher please book onto the refresher course.
It aims to:
- Clarify the role of the DSL
- Identify lessons for schools from Serious Case Reviews and current issues in safeguarding
- Explain legislation, guidance and inspection criteria relating to education and safeguarding
- Recall blocks to pupils and staff disclosing/reporting and consider how to overcome these.
- Recognise the current Wakefield referral pathway
- Determine what steps are to be taken to safeguard, in line with policy and procedures and recognize how values affect decision making
- Explain issues around recording and in information sharing
- State further role of DSL following referral
- Demonstrate an awareness of the emotional aspect of safeguarding work and identify a network of support and further information.
THERE IS AN ASSUMPTION PARTICIPANTS HAVE HAD RECENT BASIC AWARENESS TRAINING THIS LEVEL OF TRAINING NEEDS TO BE UPDATED EVERY 2 YEARS To be a DSL in Wakefield it is recommended that you do 2.5 days of training initially, this course plus the two below: DSL's will also need to attend the half day Signs of Safety Training. To book please see https://www.wakefieldlscb.org.uk/training-courses/ DSL's are strongly advised to also attend 'Working Together - a shared responsibility' multi agency training. To book please see https://www.wakefieldlscb.org.uk/training-courses/ Prevent training is also required - this is online or face to face. https://www.wakefieldlscb.org.uk/training-courses/
It will be helpful if delegates have familarised themselves with the safeguarding page for education on the WDSCB website https://www.wakefieldlscb.org.uk/education/
Designated Safeguarding Leads from education setting or other members of staff who would benefit from the training